As we age, skin becomes looser, and breasts often get bigger with weight gain. Our expectations from bras, therefore, increase. They need to provide more support and lift than in our golden age.
The best bras for older women can give your upper body a renewed shape and increase your self-confidence in 2020.
This article includes affiliate links. If you choose to purchase any of the products we have discussed in this article, we may receive a small commission.
Playtex Women’s 18 Hour Ultimate Lift is our top choice among all reviewed products.
The final list of our five best bras for older women is:
- Playtex Women’s 18 Hour Ultimate Lift
- Vanity Fair Women’s Minimizer Bra
- Bali Women’s Double Support
- Just My Size Women’s Front Close
- Women’s Zip Front Sports Bra Wireless
The Best Bras for Older Women
We’ve spent a great deal of time evaluating and selecting the best models of bras for mature women. We considered all aspects—reviews, features, durability—to provide you with well-rounded results:
1. Playtex Women’s 18 Hour Ultimate Lift – Best Overall
Our top choice is also the most popular model in our selection. You’ll be able to choose from over 20 colors, including classic, bright, and glamorous shades. Plus, I and many users love the support this bra offers.
|Cup Sizes||From 36B to 48DDD.|
|Material(s)||Nylon, spandex, cotton, polyester.|
- Many bright and classic colors available.
- Four-way support.
- Cushioned and stable straps.
- Cups include lift panels.
- Three-level hook closure.
- Some users wished it had more of a lifting effect.
- Needs to be hand-washed.
2. Vanity Fair Women’s Minimizer Bra – Best Underwired Bra
If you’re used to underwired bras, this model is perfectly suitable for mature women. First, users report that they can’t feel the wire and love the reinforcement it provides.
As a bonus, this model will shrink your bustline by up to 1.5 inches. It can even hide that stubborn excess of breast and body tissue coming from the back or sides.
|Cup Sizes||34G to 44DDD.|
|Material(s)||Nylon (78%), spandex (22%).|
- Minimizes bustline.
- Smooth look under clothes.
- Elegant design.
- Comfortable underwire.
- Soft and gentle fabric on the skin.
- Wire provides excellent support.
- Hand-wash only.
- Straps are too thin for some users.
3. Bali Women’s Double Support – Best for Comfort
If you’re looking for a supportive model that remains exceptionally comfortable, here’s a great choice. The largest sizes come with four vertical hooks, offering double support.
It also comes with a “Spa closure” consisting of a gel pouch placed behind the hooks to prevent skin irritation.
|Cup Sizes||34B to 44DD.|
- 20 colors available.
- Thick back closure—four vertical hooks.
- Comfortable padded “Spa closure”.
- Frontal adjustment of the shoulder straps.
- Some users wished it had padded cups for a push-up effect.
4. Just My Size Women’s Front Close – Best for Value
This product offers a complete set of essential features at an economical price-point. This can be useful for anyone looking to purchase several bras.
Reviewers also love that the shoulder straps are wide and padded, providing comfort and stability.
|Cup Sizes||38D to 52DD.|
|Material(s)||Nylon, polyester, spandex.|
- Soft cups.
- Padded front closure.
- Machine washable.
- Wide cushioned straps.
- We love the light and shimmery fabric.
- Only available in three colors.
- Cups aren’t padded.
5. Women’s Zip Front Sports Bra Wireless – Best Sports Bra
These bras are so comfy and supportive that users don’t only wear them for physical activities, but also after breast surgery. They come as a set of two or three colored bras, making this product extremely cost-efficient.
We’ve looked at more comfortable sports bras.
|Cup Sizes||Small to XX-Large.|
|Material(s)||Polyamide (92%), spandex (8%).|
|Color(s) Available||13 sets of various colored bras.|
- Available in sets of two or three bras.
- Each set comes with various colored bras.
- Front closure with zipper.
- Large shoulder straps.
- Removable bra pads.
- Racerback design for support.
- Hand-wash only.
- Most reviewers recommend to size up.
Choosing the Best Bras for Older Women
If you’re unsure about selecting the best bra for your needs, here are some tips on what to look at:
Types of Bras
There are mainly two types of bras:
The entire bra is composed of fabric and is considered the most comfortable type. They often include a stretchy material—such as spandex—to support and lift your breasts.
The best sports bras for older women are wire-free. They shouldn’t only be comfortable and supportive; they should also allow you to move freely while wearing them.
Wearing an underwire bra is often a love-hate relationship. They offer the best breast support and lift for an optimum push-up effect.
Yet, to be comfortable, an underwire bra needs to be perfectly sized. Too big or too small, and you may end up in great pain.
Underwire Vs. Wire-Free Bras
Both types come with their set of benefits and drawbacks. If comfort is paramount, then a wire-free bra is your best option. When, however, support and lift is your main concern, underwired bras are typically more suitable.
If you’re looking for the best of both worlds, wire-free bras can also bring excellent support and can be a good compromise.
Bras Open & Closure
Although bras with back closure usually require adaptation time at first, it’s often second nature for most mature women.
The closure comes with several levels of hooks, making the bra tighter or looser. Plus, the more hooks aligned vertically, the more reinforcement the undergarment provides.
As time passes, our joints become stiffer, and a back closure isn’t always an option anymore. Don’t fear; some models come with front zippers or hooks. These products are generally the most convenient to wear.
How supportive and comfortable your bra is can affect how much you enjoy physical activity. As we mentioned, wearing an underwired or wire-free bra can play a significant role in how comfortable your bra is. There are, however, a few additional features to look for when searching for the comfiest model:
- Cushioned and thick straps: To prevent the fabric from digging in the skin or sliding off the shoulders.
- Padding behind closure: Brings additional comfort to a bra closure.
- Seamless and tagless design: Stitches and cut tags can be prone to itchiness and skin irritation.
You’ll find both machine-washable and hand-wash only models. Although this is a matter of personal preference, the latter type requires a little more elbow grease.
If you thought that all bras were designed with young women in mind, we hope this article proved you wrong. The best bras for older women will offer you the lift, support and comfort you need while remaining glamorous and convenient to wear.
Playtex Women’s 18 Hour Ultimate Lift is our favorite product reviewed. It comes with comfortable padded straps and extra four-way support. It also features an elegant silky design and texture to maintain our confidence and femininity.